Our big trip is finally here! We are sitting in the apartment waiting for our lost luggage to arrive (story of my life), so I thought I'd take a few minutes to say Hola and overload you with pictures of our trip.
After a very long flight Friday night, C and I got into Buenos Aires yesterday afternoon. Our bags were left during our connection in Santiago, but we were not to worry--they would be here first thing in the morning. Happy with that answer, we went to our apartment to get the keys and freshen up a bit. We are very impressed with the cleanliness and location of our apartment--we are in Palermo Soho, a part of Buenos Aires with all the restaurants, bars, and night clubs.
| Living room and kitchen |
| View from the Balcony |
| C on the balcony enjoying a glass of wine |
When we first got in, we wandered around Palermo for a while and got our bearings (and some groceries). We then grabbed dinner at a place called Sugar. It is a restaurant/bar that was started by American expats and came highly recommended. We had sandwiches (Cam had chicken and I had falafel) that were delicious!
We had bought tickets to the DJ Tiesto concert for the first night in BA. Because our luggage is missing, we had to go to Tiesto in the clothes we flew in (ahem, boat shoes, jeans, me: white tee, cam: green polo) and not the awesome, cool clothes we had packed for Tiesto. Ces't le vie.
| Dear Tiesto, the boat shoes and polo have arrived. |
The locals are the nicest people. They tried to speak English with us and asked us all about what America is really like. They loved telling us about how much the love American movies, music and TV. No one yet that we have spoken with know what Kentucky was--the closest city that they had heard of was Chicago.
This morning, we got up and fought with LAN about our baggage (come on people, we were on day three--and a DJ Tiesto concert later--of the same clothes). They told us that our luggage would no longer be in first thing in the morning, but would instead be in at 4. Satisfied that our luggage would be in, we then went sightseeing around Buenos Aires.
First sight we saw may be the best of the trip because "Kentucky Rural" is clearly known for its pizza:
My high school was weird and didn't have just a US history course--we had history of the Americas. We spent one year learning South American history and one year on US history. Thus, I'm a big nerd and wanted to go see the places that I learned about. The first stop of course was Plaza de Mayo, were Eva Peron gave her famous "Don't Cry for Me Argentina" speech:
And the Mothers of Plaza De Mayo (Las Madres de la Plaza) protested the disappearance/murder of their children by the Argentine government in the 70s (and later throughout the years):
| C in front of the Casa Rosada (the Pink House--which is the presidential building). |
And then headed down the San Telmo market--a famous market in the San Telmo district of Buenos Aires held every Sunday with antique street vendors, dancers, food, etc.
I fell in love with the antique copper. C gave me the weirdest stares in the world, but I have decided to tote back a rather large 1928 copper milk jug so that C and make a lamp for me (it's nice to have a handy husband). Thus, I am now the proud owner and airport mule of this copper jug:
I am desperately wanted these gorgeous cowhide rugs they have at the market, but we just knew pup would chew it up like she did C's sheepskin rug. Plus, a rug is a bit harder to bring back. So, I bought this awesome painting instead. I wanted the large (think 5 feet) one in black and white of a horse, but we don't that many bare walls and it's hard to carry something that big around another continent, even if it does roll up. So, I settled for a much more manageable 24 inch square red version with a llama:
I love my little llama and have big plans for him in our laundry room or downstairs bath.
On our way back to wait for our luggage we stopped and got a local favorite: empanadas (these flour pastries filled with meat, veggies, and/or cheese).
| Action shot walking across the street before I chowed down. |
Well, it's 11 PM and we are still waiting on our luggage.
Seriously--we are filthy. Here's our confession: we didn't want to buy new clothes when we have tons in a suitcase that is somewhere in this city. So, we've showered, but of course we don't have shampoo or conditioner--we had to use soap to wash our hair. We are sans deodorant (apparently Argentineans don't use it because Lord knows the stores don't sell it, we looked). We have been wearing towels all evening around the apartment so our clothes could air out on the balcony. We broke down and got re-dressed, but are wearing our underwear inside out. If one more person looks weirdly at our Sperrys, I might punch them in the face (FYI: everyone here wears high-top Chuck T's, converses, and Toms). I'm in my glasses because I left my contacts in with my other liquids (including my makeup, oye). Thank God we have our toothbrushes and a hair brush.
They have one hour to come deliver our bags (after hours on the phone this evening, they've told us it should be before midnight) and then we are out to have dinner. Thank goodness people don't think about eating dinner until 9:30 and happy hours last until midnight--we'll fit right in.
| Oh Hartmann, we will be so happy if I ever see you again... |
Here's to finding our luggage so we won't have to go 4 full days in the same clothes! Okay, that's a lie. Tomorrow we will break down and buy more clothes.







6 comments:
Have been following your blog for a while - so sorry about your luggage, how frustrating! Looks like y'all are still having a great time, and what a great story it will be to tell much later...... in fresh clothes :)
What a great way to start your trip! I'm glad you're not letting it stop you though. It sounds like you're having a great time.
Thanks for the reminder to carefully pack my carry-on next time (:
Sounds and looks like you al are having a graet time, besides the luggage ordeal, which stinks!!!! Hope it got there to you!
I totally laughed out loud when it said you all were wearing our underwear inside it out, never thought of that! haha
Have a great trip girl!
Can't wait to hear so much more about your trip! I am SOOOOO intrigued!!! Never really wanted to take a trip to BA before, but now I'm dying to go!!! I do hope to hear more. And I really hope y'all get luggage soon. What an inconvenience...but glad you're making the most of it. :) Hahaha. I once had to wear my undies inside out too.
O.M.G. I am dying for you!!!! I hope you've gotten your luggage by now!!! (obvi I'm a little late here) Like B I can't wait to hear more about trip! Why you're there, what all you're doing, etc :) Have FUN (hopefully, now that you have some shampoo, deo, and clean undies, you're feeling refreshed!)
Some of the things you are talking about remind me of my stay in Argentina. I remember being shocked too with the fact that people usually stay up late till midnight and they eat dinner round that time. But that doesn’t seem to be such a bad thing for portenios. Usually night starts at 9, and depending on how dark it gets, because if there is still daylight, night can start at 10 PM.
I stayed in one of those furnished apartments in buenos aires located in the neighborhood of Recoleta. Very classy and close to the cemetery which is a well-known tourist attraction.
As far as food is concerned, I tried empanadas and let me tell you that is one tasty dish.
I loved the country; I hope I will go back!
Kim
Post a Comment