When I can't sleep at night, I read. Lately, I've been an insomniac, so I've been reading like crazy. I've read some great books lately, so here are a few to add to your reading lists:
The Hunger Games Trilogy
I was skeptical at first because the target audience is about 13, but these books are seriously amazing. I read all three (Hunger Games, Catching Fire, and Mockingjay) in one weekend--I just couldn't put them down. I can't wait to see the movie, especially since the two main actors are from Kentucky (and therefore District 12).
The Paris Wife
A wonderful glimpse into Hemingway's early life with his first wife, Hadley. Very well written and interesting account of their life and love in the 1920s.
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
I knew absolutely nothing about Chinese society in the 1800s, so the book was extremely intriguing to me. It portrays life and ideals of Chinese women from each stage of life, including growing up as an unloved daughter, feet binding, arranged marriages, the desire and need to have sons, and living/caring for in-laws. There is also an independent film based on the book, but I haven't seen it yet.
Heaven is For Real
This is a good, quick read for those interested in religion. It is written about a pastor's four year old son who claims to have gone to Heaven during a near-death experience in the hospital.
Read any good books lately that you want to share? I'm always looking for suggestions (or people willing to lend me Kindle books!)





3 comments:
look at you go, girl! awesome reviews...about to start the second hunger games book!
xoxo,
megs [at] Shine On
I just read the hunger games too. They suck you in!
I just finished the first book The Hunger Games. I was definitely expecting Not to like them, just simply because well al of times when people rave something is so good, it tends not to live up to the hype! Thankfully the book did hold my attention and I wasn't bored reading it! I'm actually off to pick up the last 2 books today!
Post a Comment