Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Shades of Grey

Oh the joys of homeownership.  Our home needs a new roof (which we knew when we bought it), but I had no idea how many colors a roof comes in. I guess I've never noticed and assumed most roofs were a standard brown, grey or black--I've never thought twice about roof colors. And, this is a rather big investment that will hopefully last another 20 years, so I want to pick a good color. 

So, here is our house currently:
It's a very pale cream/tan with black shutters, white trim and a black/charcoal roof.

We are not going to go with black because it apparently attract and traps the heat in the summer (but it doesn't do so in winter, which I know seems weird).  Grey roofs do not have this problem, so we are leaning towards a shade of grey. I initially was leaning towards charcoal/almost black, but I was driving by a cape cod in Fairway with our color scheme and noticed it had a light grey roof and loved it. 


Our roof shingles come in these colors of grey:

1. Driftwood:

2.  Estate Grey


3. Sierra Grey: 




 Here are a few samples of the general color scheme options (it doesn't help that I am in love with all these houses too).
Light greys:




Dark Grey/Black:




What's your favorite? Thoughts?

6 comments:

Laura @ My Thoughts-Uninterrupted said...

I like the Estate Grey and by the way I love, love, love your house! Wow.

LindseyEveryday said...

Estate grey!! :)

Danielle said...

I think either the first or the last because they both blend well with your house color.

Anonymous said...

Sierra Grey

C Mae said...

Estate Grey has my vote!

Lea Liz said...

I'm going to have to go with the Estate Grey too!!!

Post a Comment