Thursday, May 2, 2013

Call to the Post


This Bluegrass girl has not always been in Lexington.  No-sir-ee. I lived in Louisville during junior high and high school.  For other Louisvillians, I will go ahead and answer your obviously burning question, I went to Sacred Heart. 

During this time, I learned to truly appreciate all things Derby.  Thunder, the mini-marathon (as a spectator, let's not kid ourselves, I do not run), and the people watching at the ChowWagons, Oaks and Derby, really symbolize my childhood to me. In fact, we even had Steve, the official Derby bugler, do the Call to the Post and My Old Kentucky Home at our wedding.

Needless to say, Derby-along with its hats--hold a special place in my heart (and my closet because let's be real, those big hats take up a ton of space, and you have to have a new one every year. Obviously).  

C and I will be at a fabulous wedding shower for Katherine and Ben, but we still be sipping mint juleps and celebrating the ponies nonetheless from Lexington. I, like most of you, will be on the look out for the best hats.  Some of my favorites from past years: 

Kentucky Derby hats 
very chic derby hat - oooooooh Deb Baum - here you go! 
You can never start 'em too young
Who doesn't love Erin Andrews?
Tamara Sorreoo, from Austin, Tx., shows off her Derby hat before the 137th Kentucky Derby horse race at Churchill Downs Saturday, May 7, 2011, in Louisville, Ky. (AP Photo/Denis Paquin)

No comments:

Post a Comment