You know all those little things we take for granted all the time, until they just aren't there anymore? Hmm..add sidewalks to that list.
Our beautiful downtown. From Kentucky.com
The drawing of what our streets will hopefully look like eventually. From Kentucky.com
It's only fitting to include one of my childhood favorites, Shel Silverstein.
There is a place where the sidewalk ends
And before the street begins,
And there the grass grows soft and white,
And there the sun burns crimson bright,
And there the moon-bird rests from his flight
To cool in the peppermint wind.
Let us leave this place where the smoke blows black
And the dark street winds and bends.
Past the pits where the asphalt flowers grow
We shall walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And watch where the chalk-white arrows go
To the place where the sidewalk ends.
Yes we'll walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And we'll go where the chalk-white arrows go,
For the children, they mark, and the children, they know
The place where the sidewalk ends.
Happy Friday! Anyone have 4th of July Plans? We plan on checking out Red, White and Boom--I've never been in the six years I've lived in Lexington.





8 comments:
I used to love walking the sidewalks with my dad when I was little. Love this poem. Happy July 4th darling, xxxoo
oh my gosh that looks like a nightmare! hope they get it done soon.
I love Shel! Especially The Giving Tree. It looks like your streets will be gorgeous when they're all done!
Oh you've hit a sore spot with me (and my coworkers). This sidewalk mess is about to drive me nuts! Trying to take a walk at lunch is literally taking your life into your own hands. One side is almost done, fingers crossed the rest will be done soon!
I KNEW you were going to venture into "Where The Sidewalk Ends" I love Shel too! What is the "boom" party for the 4th of July of which you speak of? I might have to check it out one year!!
I drove through downtown Lexington today for work (had a deposition at UK Medical Center) and could not get over the mess that is going on down there! Hope it gets taken care of soon, the plan is lovely.
Besides the inconvenience when trying to walk around downtown...I know it will certainly make my job much easier when the sidewalks and streetscapes are finished! South Limestone down...Main and Vine to go!
Post a Comment