Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Ten on Tuesday: Things on my Mind

No strong theme today, just ten things going on right now...

1. Congrats to our good friends Jillian and James for getting engaged this past weekend! We are so incredibly happy for you both!

2. Ugh. Dentist appointment today--at least I had no cavities.  I absolutely hate going to to dentist. My dentist is nice and is who my husband uses locally, but  I can't stand having someone in my mouth and can't stand all the scraping sounds. I heard about some local dentist office that gives cookies and does paraffin wax massages on your hands while you wait, which sounds more like my speed.  Anyone go there and care to share their experience? Has anyone else does the sedation dentistry and have any experience with that? 
 Thanks google!

3.  I have the best friends ever. I had a great weekend catching up with the girls.  Friday night was a wonderful dinner and drinks with Thetas and on Sunday Lauren (an awesome wedding planner/florist) and I went out for lavender mojitos.  She was so kind to give me an gorgeous arrangement to take home. Every time I walk into the kitchen, I smile.



4. Paint. 'm thinking about painting our bedroom, again. I think our green is a little seafoam-y for me, and I would like a more neutral, tan-green.  I recently saw the Sherwin Williams color Burlap at a house and loved it. I don't want anything too different, just something with a warmer, more brown undertone. 
 Our bedroom now (it is more seafoamy than this, I swear). 


I'm also planning on painting the wooden trim and shelves white in our living room.  I think I will leave the wooden beams alone, but I am thinking the trim would blend into the new kitchen better, and would help lighten up the living room.

5. Life is short.  C had a visitation for a fraternity brother this weekend.  I think I'm still in that invincible state because it seems implausible to me that someone our age can die. Since I heard about his death, I've been thinking about how life is short and have actively tried to  live every moment to the fullest.  

Also, keep my uncle (and godfather) in your prayers.  He has stage four cancer and it has spread, so he is currently in chemo and radiation.  Honestly, I try to trust in God completely, but it is often hard to think of death or disease being part of his plan.  
 
 Thanks google!

6.  Fresher=better. We bought fresh corn, tomatoes, and peaches from a farm this weekend.  The corn was picked the day before, and tasted fabulous yesterday.  I love all the fresh veggies this time of year. 
  Thanks google!

7. School's expensive.  Even with every cent I earned this summer and my scholarship, we will have to pay money to UK this year.  Tuition is absurd, and books are even more of a rip off.  
 
  Thanks google!

8. Needlepointing.  I used to be a needlepointing fiend, and then I entered law school.  So now, I'm trying to finish the hunting scene pillow I started before law school. Wish me luck...
 
 The christmas stocking I needlepointed for myself.

9. I'm Cooking a Surprise Dinner Tonight.  Yes, you read that right. Cooking. Shocker, I know.  I think its because there is nothing on daytime television.  
 
 Thanks google!

I'm making ravioli with homemade tomato basil sauce and mixing a fresh salad. The sauce is cooking down right now, and smells delicious. Hopefully this will taste as good as it smells. For the sauce, I blanched 6 roma tomatoes for 10 seconds, sat them in an ice bath, peeled the skins, removed the seeds, and chopped the tomatoes.  In a medium-sized pan, I sauteed fresh garlic and shallots in olive oil.  I then added the chopped tomatoes to the olive oil and put in fresh basil, oregano, crushed red pepper, sea salt and balsamic vinegar, and am letting the mix (covered) simmer on the stove for about an hour.  

10. Lovely Bones is the saddest movie ever.  I watched it yesterday and just sat on the couch the whole time, crying--and I'm not a crier.  I didn't cry reading the book, but the movie just got to me. 
I hope everyone is having a good Tuesday.

6 comments:

Kerr said...

lavender mojitos sound great. good luck with dinner. thinking about your uncle and family

Jamie said...

You did an amazing job on your stocking! I wish I was crafty like that!

sara said...

Lavendar mojitos - never heard of such a thing but they do sound delicious! And I can't believe that stocking, unbelievable! How long did it take you to make that?

Hope your dinner went well. Prayers and positive thoughts are being sent out for your uncle.

Jill said...

The dinner sounds delicious!! I hope it turned out wonderfully. Do you deliver? haha :)

I'm sorry to hear about your husband's fraternity brother, and your family members. Life is so short :( We're reaching that age where it hits far too close to home.

Have you gone to the Cheapside or Southland Farmer's Market at all this year? I always want to go on a Saturday or Sunday..but never manage to drag myself out of bed.

LindseyEveryday said...

I love the blog.. and your dog is ridiculously cute! I love your wedding photo. You look beautiful. Can't wait to read more!

littlesemperwifey.blogspot.com

JMB said...

I will keep your uncle in my thoughts and prayers! The home cooked meal you cooked sounds amazing! I LOOOVE ravioli and I think if I had my house I would want to change the decor about a million different times! AND I feel you about the student loans, I currently need to get all my stuff and paper work going with that this week and make that first payment...

Post a Comment