1. The Help. I enjoyed Kathryn Sockett's quick read. Placed in Mississippi in the 1960s, the book portrays the relationships between the white families and their black maids: "the help." I enjoyed how the book was narrated by both the the viewpoint of the maid and the white children they raise. Sockett did a wonderful job of making the characters (although somewhat stereotypical in nature) come to life and created great visuals of the characters and society. Honestly, while I cannot say enough good things about 3/4 of this book, I thought the end was a little too predictable and at felt aspects ended too abruptly or neatly--it was not a satisfying ending. But, I don't think this took away from the novel too much and definitely recommend the book despite the end.
2. Love in the Time of Cholera. This classic masterpiece by Nobel prize winner Gabriel Garcia Marquez has been on my "to read" list for a while. This book is a look into all types of love: young love, old love, everlasting love, love of country, love triangles, passionate love, lost love, familial love, love after death, love in friendship, and on and on. By including all the types of "love," Garcia Marquez creates a great comparison of true love, lust, and admiration. It took me longer than usual to wade through the book (I was also trying to read it in a car and on the beach), but it was well worth it as the book is beautifully written. It reminded me of a Hispanic Romeo and Juliet and made the hopleless romantic in me swoon.




7 comments:
These are both on my reading list. Love your blog!
i just noticed your graduation countdown! how funny! 118 days will FLY!
Love in the Time of Cholera has been on my to-read list for a long time now. You make it sound awesome!
I am in the middle of The Help, so far I love it and i can't put my ipad down!!
I've always wanted to read The Help, but I always seem to forget it when I'm looking for something new to read!
I think I'm going to read The Help, for sure. Several people have recommended it now and I need something good to read besides...total and complete chick lit hehe :)
These books sound way more interesting than the one I'm reading now. Thanks for sharing! Gave you the Stylish Blogger Award. Have a great weekend!
Post a Comment