Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Remembering 9/11


Lately, I've been slightly concerned by everyone in our generation who are so connected to the internet that they aren't engaging in every day life. Yes, I agree Facebook, twitter and the internet generally are great avenues for public awareness; but, talking about something in your Facebook status is not making a difference in the world.

I have been even more aware of this today.  Everyone I know has a posting online about remembering September 11.  Don't get me wrong, I am glad that people are remembering. But, I wish our generation did more action. 

I was talking to a co-worker about this, and she said that it is often hard to think of things to do.   So, I thought of a short list of small things people can do today:

  • Make an appetizer or dessert and take it to your local police station or fire house, including a note thanking them for their service.
  • Personally call or write to a veteran, thanking them for their service
  • Buy/use only American-made products
  • Do an hour of volunteer work
  • Send a care package to our troops overseas
  • Stop by the local ROTC or VA building and thank them for their service 
  • Pray for the victims and their families 
  • Give blood (I'm doing this one)
Anyone have additional small ways to remember?

1 comment:

Danielle said...

I totally agree! Social media has it's place (whether I like it or not) but being active is not something you can do on FB. Our generation has to step up and do something or I really fear what will or won't happen with our world. Stepping off my soap box now (:

Post a Comment