Thursday, September 23, 2010

Family

My trip home was incredibly sad and yet uplifting all at once.  On the plane, I realized this was the first time I had ever flown and not been excited about the destination or the adventure ahead.  I loved seeing all our family, but it was the still incredibly sad that my uncle isn't there anymore.  He was always the happiest person in our family--it was fitting that he played Santa every year we were growing up.  He is the first person we have lost in our family under the age of 90.  But, the funeral helped  to provide closure. 

The funeral was ridiculously crowded, which was really a testament to him and how many lives he touched.  I am not exaggerating when I say roughly 1,500 people came to pay their respects.  The receiving line at the visitation wrapped down the church aisle, around the exterior of the church, past the school, and to the soccer fields.  The church held around 500 people, and people were standing up and down the sides of the church and packed the back of the church.  My cousin (his daughter) gave the most beautiful eulogy.  She had such strength and poise that I know I don't think I could ever have.  

I took a few pictures while I was there that remind me of Maryland (family and the scenery):

My grandfather (Poppy) and his beagle, Snoopy.

The house I lived in down the road from my grandparents.

A shot of our old backyard from the road.


Close up of the geese under the trees in my old backyard. 


The soybean farm down the road.

Our family parish, Saint Francis Xavier church.


My family priest, Father John and me.  Ignore the lack of make-up, I decided no make-up was better than having it run down my face.

My cousin, my grandmother, and me

Some of our family.

5 comments:

LindseyEveryday said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Just remember time heals all wounds and you will see him again someday. The pictures you took are absolutely gorgeous. What a great place to grow up : )

lindseyl0ve.blogspot.com

Jamie said...

Looks like you grew up in a beautiful place with a wonderful family! That parish is just beautiful!

Anonymous said...

WAVES/HUGS to everyone...It's so beautiful there! Not sure I could do what Shannon did either. :(

Kerr said...

the pictures are so gorgeous! what a pretty place to grow up. I am glad to hear the funeral was good. well, as good as a funeral can be I guess. hope things get back to "normal" for you soon.

Jill said...

I know that had to have been a hard trip for you :( I think it shows strength that you are able to write about it and share pictures, which btw are beautiful. Hang in there. It is so hard losing someone you love ((hugs))

Post a Comment