Friday, December 3, 2010

Friday Confessions: Finals

Finals is probably the only time when I'm not thanking God its Friday, haha! So, here are some confessions, finals style. 

1. During finals I almost never get dressed for the day unless I have to go out in public. Even then, it's pretty thrown together.  I sit around in my PJs all day for these two weeks. 

2. I am cleaner during finals than any other time of my life.  Nothing beats stress like a bubble bath, so I often take 2-3 hour long baths a day while going over index cards and outlines. This is probably necessary because I remain covered in highlighter for these two weeks.

3. I plan my whole semester around finals.  I have taken classes merely because they have papers instead of a final, and if I'm on the fence between two classes, I'll take the one that fits in better to my finals schedule.  Basically, I plan to ensure I have the minimal amount of stress possible.  I even have planned next semester so that I only have two (as in 2) finals (which sounds AMAZING right now).

4. I honestly didn't know stress until law school.  I had been in stressful situations, but nothing like law school--not even the time I thought my house was being broken into (it was just a repairman my parents forgot to tell me about).  I had the first panic attack of my life during the spring semester of my first year, and unfortunately it was not my last.  I tend to lose about 7-12 pounds during finals from stress: I can't keep food down and I have no appetite.  Before one final, I even got sick from just brushing my teeth. I'm pathetic. 

5. Finals have brought me closer to God.  It has made me pray more and be more thankful for what He has given me.  I will admit (it is Friday Confessions, right) that one semester I sat in church and continually pleaded with God to let me survive finals. I tried to barter that if I lived through my tax exam, I would make an extra effort to go to church every week.  He answers prayers: I passed tax with flying colors and have been a regular at church since. 

6. Contrary to popular belief, third year is not easier than the first two.  Yes, first year they scare you to death, second year they work you to death, but third year is a continuation of year two.  I honestly think the only difference is by third year you stop caring as much (hence why I am blogging and not studying right now). 

7. Despite how much we (or I) complain, finals are not the most difficult questions in the world, its just a lot of memorization.  Yes, there is a lot of pressure on the us because they are the only grades we get for an entire class, but I've never walked into an exam and not known what the professor was asking.  The difficulty is trying to distinguish your exam answers from your classmates because it is graded on a curve. 

Well, I better go study.  First exam is Tuesday, and I'll try to post to let you all know that (if) I survived.  I heard the exam is extremely difficult (he tends to mix many concepts into one question with convoluted facts), so keep your fingers crossed and say some prayers please.  At least this time in two weeks, I'll be all done!

Hope you all have better weekend plans than I do!

2 comments:

JMB said...

What is LOSING weight like when your stressed? Because I am just the complete opposite! Maybe I SHOULD go to law school haha. Toothpaste and nausea equals bad combo! And 2 bubble baths a day.......sign me up! I am taking a Kaplan class hahaha

Jill said...

You're gonna get through this sweet girl! You deserve a big Christmas after this :) I love your graduation countdown you've added over here on the blog...hang in there!!

Post a Comment