Our house is still on the market, but the house we want is still for sale as well. Here are a few updates from last week:
Laugh all you want, but I broke down and bought a Saint Joseph statute at church on Sunday. For those who don't know the background story, legend has it that Saint Joseph will intercede to help you sell your home if you bury a statute of him upside-down in your yard. The nuns used to bury these statutes and pray to Saint Joseph when purchasing and selling land for convents, and it has become a common practice for people of all faiths. I can't help but hope that we Catholics may get an extra hand because, well, we consider him a saint. Plus, you better believe I'm saying that novena to him nightly as well. Cam thinks it's ridiculously hokey of me; but I figure the power of prayer can't hurt anything and just maybe Saint Joseph will offer up a few extra prayers to help get this house sold a little faster. I know ladies, I know, but this just goes to show how incredibly badly I want to sell so we can buy the other home.
The positive is our house is getting quite a bit of traffic. Over the weekend, we had 2 showings and an open house where three families came. Basically, I've been cleaning the house and baking cookies all weekend so it smells good. All 5 gave us generally positive feedback--every single person loved the house and had no suggestions for changing the inside. The kitchen remodel has gotten great comments and no one has said anything about it being overpriced. In fact, we have been told that our house would already be sold if it wasn't for the size of our backyard. While I'm happy the house shows well, it is so incredibly frustrating to hear the only negative thing is something we have no control over.
We have a decent size front yard and a large side yard; but, our neighborhood is in the best school district and parents with young children apparently want a big backyard for the kids. I keep telling myself that someone will look beyond the size of the backyard and notice that: we have a decent front and side yard, we are on a double cul-de-sac so kids are safe to play and run around, anywhere, we are two blocks from a huge park, we've done a lot with the space (a larger deck and a patio with firepit), and who wants to cut a huge yard?! Plus, all the homes are generally on smaller lots here so it's not like there are tons of huge lots around here.
I should be clear, not everyone mentioned they thought the yard was small, but it's the only negative feedback we have gotten so it is what I probably focused on now. I'm just ready for the right buyer to come walking through that door. Geez, it's only been a week and I'm clearly incredibly impatient.
Any ideas on how to stage the yard to make it feel larger?



5 comments:
Saint Joseph works! We sold our house last fall using the same one my in-laws used to sell their house. IT WORKS!!!
Good luck!
You know, our house has a big back yard for our neighborhood but we've learned we are not big back yard people. So that will not be at the top of our priority list next time. It's one of those things you think you need/want but honestly, how often do you go out there and say, "I'm so glad we have this big backyard"? You'll find the right buyer. It's great that you've already had this much traffic. I think that's a good sign.
Everyone who I know who has use St. Joseph has had 100% success and a quick sale! It will work!
I pray St. Joseph works girl!!!!
I love the house you want to buy!!!! Hope you get some more lookers and there will be the perfect family to buy your home!! :)
haha I'm Catholic and have totally heard of the burying the St. Joseph upside down! If your back yard is the only problem, yall are in great shape! Stay positive:) sending a lil prayer positivity your way!!
Post a Comment