Monday, February 7, 2011

Weekend Hodgepodge

Hello lovelys, hope ya'll had a great weekend and are staying out of this snow. Here's our weekend recap. All images are thanks to Google images.

On Friday night we went to Table Three Ten with Cam's brother and his girlfriend. We loved the atmosphere of the place: it has exposed, vintage hardwood floor ceilings, exposed brick and concrete, and a general vintage industrial feel.  It had a really "big city" vibe to it, but was still dark and romantic. We had dinner reservations at 8:30, so we waited at the bar for our table and ordered a bottle of wine.  The wine was superb--I believe it was called the cab-sav Espalt and it was delicious.  At 9, we double checked with the manager (who apparently may be a co-owner as well) on our table.  He informed that "because we made late dinner reservations, we would have to wait."  This left a pretty bad taste in my mouth, but he reassured us that it would not be long at all.  At 9:30, we mentioned to the bartender that we had reservations for an hour ago and were getting sick of waiting.  He was very pleasant and comped us a round of beers and checked on our table.  We were finally seated at 9:50. Moral of story: dinner reservations may not mean much here.  In Table Three Ten's defense, they did offer to comp us dessert once we were seated.  However, they ran out of dessert, so they comped us martinis instead. Also, everyone else I know who has been has said they didn't have to wait very long, so maybe our situation was the anomaly.

Now to the food: thank goodness we were told to eat before we went and had small dinner.  The menu was pretty limited and its tapas style.  We ordered the chef's selection of cheese and of the meat for the four of us.  It was the perfect amount of food for us and it was delicious.

Summary: it would be a great place to go to for drinks, appetizers, or a bottle of wine. Otherwise, eat  a small meal before you go.  The atmosphere is very "big city romantic"--i.e., you forget you are in Lexington.  Even if you have a reservation, be prepared to wait.  

On Saturday, I drove to South/Western Kentucky to interview a witness for the Innocence Project. We passed this monstrosity on the way, and I was so intrigued.   No, that is not the Washington Monument.  It is the Jefferson Davis Memorial Park.  I am a little miffed that our state would have a ridiculously large (i.e. expensive) monument and state park to commemorate the President of the Confederacy when our Lincoln memorial is so small in comparison (interesting FYI for those non-Kentuckians: both Lincoln and Davis were born in KY).  But whatever, I should realize I am in the south. Who knew this thing even existed.  Saddest part is that the locals kept telling us that Davis was the president of the US. Maybe we should spend less money on the monument and more on our education system...

Also, if you happen to go that way,  DO. NOT. EVER. stop at the Tumbleweed in Madisonville. We stopped there for lunch and we all had a mild case of food poisoning. Plus, the food was wrenched. Live and learn... 

Yesterday we had a relaxing day: church, cleaning around the house, and watched the super bowl.  We spent the majority of the day looking into some possibly exciting news, so we will keep you posted :) 

Now, off to Zumba and a "butts and guts" workout, haha! My night litigation class just got cancelled so I can go to the Junior League Meeting tonight now--pretty excited!

3 comments:

Kerr said...

very interesting post all around. I think I went to the Jefferson Davis Monument in 4th grade.

sorry you got sick from tumbleweed, that sounds awful!

enjoy zumba, I think you are hooked!

JMB said...

I too think you are obsessed with Zumba. Butt and Guts? This intrigues me. I hope you are feeling better from your food poisoning that you had! Ew! I need to pass this place on to "the crew" (Table 310). I keep forgetting!
NO fair about your class being cancelled....call in a bomb threat to criminal tonight for please PLEeeeeeeeeaaasssse. Although, that could have repercussions for your legal career. It still isn't fair.

Danielle said...

Thanks for the review! It sounds like they need to work on their service for sure. Once they expand their menu a bit, I'll consider giving them a try. Since I dine with the senior citizens, I won't have to worry about the "late reservations!"

Post a Comment