It's been over a week and my voice has not come back. I go through this every year because of allergies, but regular allergy medication was not working this past year or now. My doctor recommended me to an allergist, and I went in for testing yesterday.
I had never been, and didn't know what to expect by the procedure. They create a grid-like chart on your back and number the grid. They then prick each number with a different allergen. After fifteen minutes of trying not to itch, they come in and measure the reaction to each allergen. The ones that did not react were then tested on my arm to see if they reacted in a different location.
I am apparently allergic to everything: Cats, dust, ragweed, weeds in general, a lot of grass, all tree pollen, and melons (which is fine by me, because I hate all melons). Pretty much everything but mold and dogs. This shocked me--I have seasonal allergies in the fall only and never had any reaction until I moved to Lexington.
Because of the high number of allergens, I am starting allergy shots next week. Eek! I don't know why, but I thought they give you a shot once and you were done. No. People, this is an in depth process. I have to go in twice a week for the next year and receive the shots and then every 4-6 weeks after that for the next three to five years. And, they aren't guaranteed to be effective (some people have to stop early because of reactions and others just don't react).
Has anyone else had allergy shots? Were they effective?


7 comments:
Eeek! Good luck! I know they were really beneficial for a lot of people. I was not one of them. Not only did they not help, but after about 6 months of the twice weekly shots, I had a really random violent reaction (i.e. had to be intubated) to one of the injections. Needless to say, it is just allergy meds daily for me!
Allergy shots were extremely helpful for me! I took them from the time I was 17 till I was 21. One of my co-workers started them about a year ago, and she says they have changed her life! :)
My MIL used to work for allergists at Vanderbilt, she swears that they are miracle workers. Good Luck! Hope they help!
My dad has been taking the shots since I was a kid. While they haven't made his allergies go away, they certainly help. You can really tell when he's missed a week! Good luck, I hope they work for you and provide you some relief.
Oh gosh! Its the curse of living in Ky - horrible allergies here. Knock on wood I haven't gotten them yet and hope I don't but almost all my coworkers get allergy shots and their kids do too. I hope they work for you - like Danielle said, they won't make the allergy go away, but definitely help my coworkers feel better and get through the rough seasons!
I've been getting allergy shots for YEARS. They are amazing! You will feel so much better!
Your sister girlfriend here NEEDS to be allergy tested and in fact, I had the appt set years ago and CANCELED!! hahaha I HEAR they help! :) You let me know as I continue to eat Benodryl as if they are M&M's this fall and winter!! xoxoxo
Post a Comment