I am so proud to be a Kentuckian today. Being from Louisville, I went to the Derby almost every year.
Cam and I in the winner's circle and the paddock at Churchill
Unfortunately, law school and finals have (literally) gotten in the middle of that. Next year, I graduate the day before the Derby (Oaks day), so I am already planning on going. Here are just a few of my favorite things about today that remind me why I love this great state:
My Old Kentucky Home
The Call to the Post
So ignore the "this is me" little clip and sorry its shaky, but it was by far the best version of Churchill's Call to the Post out there on Youtube.
Cam and I love the Call to the Post so much we had the bugler from Churchill come and perform the Call to the Post as our introduction at our reception. Once we entered, he played My Old Kentucky Home. It was absolutely one of my favorite parts of the night. Here are a few of the pics of it:
The Hats
Mint Juleps
The Horse Farms
Derby Pie
Bourbon Balls
We love the state so much, that I not only themed my blog and my wedding about the state, we also have a lot of home decor to reflect our Kentucky pride. Here's a peek into a few of the Kentucky themed items in our home.
We have these two posters framed in our living room from the Derby we went to together (with an abstract style Ashland Stakes framed poster on the other wall).
This is my favorite poster by far (its actually an Oaks picture, not a Derby picture. The Oaks is the fillies' race the day before the Derby, and its gotten to be just as big locally as the Derby). I think if and when I get a job, I will buy it for my office (or just buy it and put it it up in our home if I stay unemployed).
We have this "embossed running horse" pattern as our every day dishes (made from Louisville Stoneware):
And have these detail items from Louisville Stoneware up around the house (pitcher and plate on display in the kitchen and ceramic riding boot on a shelf in the living room dried wedding flowers in it).
We have a bourbon barrel as a end table in our living room with a horse lamp from Keeneland placed on it.
I just love this high holy day in Kentucky, rain or shine. Happy Derby Day!
























5 comments:
Love the pictures of y'all at the Derby...too cute! Those prints are beautiful too :)
Such neat decor items in your home! I can't wait till I can spend more time decorating my house. When I only have my job and no more school (one more assignment and I'm home free!!).
What an ugly day it is here today, huh?
fantastic post!! I am so excited for today!!!
Nice post! I love the Louisville Stoneware pieces.
Too bad this year turned out to be a rainy Derby weekend. My husband's a Louisville firefighter and he's working the Derby today - hopefully he stays inside and keeps dry.
cute pic of you can cam!! and btw, the talbots is at fayette mall and there is a talbots outlet store in hamburg!
Post a Comment