Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Wedding Wednesday: Veil

I never had any hesitation about wearing a veil.  I am of the belief that the veil makes the bride--otherwise, she looks just like a woman in a white dress. What other day in our lifetime can we wear expensive tulle on our heads and be fabulous? Exactly.  

That said, my veil was one of my most stressful aspects of my wedding. I knew I wanted a big bubble cut veil that ended right around the point where my dress poof-ed out and I wanted a blusher. I thought the big veil would help balance out how the top of my dress and chest were, but for the life of me could not find an image of the type of veil I wanted. 

I searched high and low but most bubble veils were so short. I ended up ordering my first veil from a veil company (I don't want to disclose who because they did end up taking it back no questions asked and were good with customer service).  It was custom made to be a single layer bubble cut veil. The blusher was to skim my chest and the veil itself was to be fingertip length.  Based on that description apparently, this is what they sent me:



Yikes. Needless to say, I was highly disappointed.  It was literally just mounds of tulle wrapped on upon itself that was no where close to what I was expecting. As you can tell, I could not even begin to see through the blusher and the veil and blusher were the same length. 

I showed C, and he just looked at me, dumbfounded, and eventually asked, "Is it what you want?" I about died laughing. He got this big grin on his face and said, "Thank God. I want marry you, not a beekeeper. Our wedding isn't Halloween." Luckily, the company took the veil back without any issue and I was completely refunded.  However, the situation taught me that I clearly needed to have a photograph of what I wanted instead of just describing it.

I ended up finding these Todd Pellowe pictures (a local amazing photographer) a few months before the wedding and saw exactly what I had envisioned. I have no idea who the bride is, but thank you, thank you!



I ended up ordering the veil through a local bridal store that is no longer in business (Bluegrass Bride, how fitting of a name for me!). My veil was custom made based on the same description, along with the above photographs, through the designer Toni Frederici. It was precisely what I had envisioned. I absolutely adore my veil and think it really was the finishing touch on my dress. 

Here are some of my favorite pictures that highlight my veil:
 
Picture of my mom putting my veil on (I ended up having to take it off to get my dress over my head, but it was a nice moment). Couldn't we pass for twins?!

 
The actual real placement of the veil once the dress was on. 



Hair comb was my "something borrowed" from one of my bridesmaids, Lauren, who got married  the year before us (and is a fabulous Louisville wedding planner--check her out!)


 
Dad lifting my veil and giving me away.

 
I was amazed at how perfect they got the length--it stopped exactly at the spot where my dress began to poof.  

11 comments:

JMB said...

Bluegrass Brides went out of business? Nooooo I was hoping to someday go there and buy my wedding dress!! I had no idea!

You looked gorgeous on your wedding day! I must admit, I have never wanted to wear a veil on my wedding day, I think it would probably be thee most frustrating thing to select for your big day....BUT! now that I see how beautiful yours was - I MIGHT be having a change of heart!

Danielle said...

Your wedding pictures are positively stunning! I'm glad you stuck it out and found exactly what you wanted. I live very close to Bluegrass Bride so I have to admit I wasn't surprised with it's short stint. Again, you look beautiful!

Jamie said...

I LOVE your veil! You looked beautiful :)

ANSTAH said...

awww these are such GREAT pictures!!! You're gorgeous!!!

bride4life said...

I wish I read your blog before you got married...because did you know that you can spray aerosol hairspray on your veil to help it proof? My hair dresser did and it did the trick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just fluff your veil and spray....IT WORKS VERY WELL!!!

Jill said...

My veil was my "something borrowed." It was very simple and I was sort of indifferent to the veil, to be honest. I couldn't make up my mind about it! However, your veil is absolutely beautiful! :)

sara said...

What a beautiful veil and even more beautiful bride. :)

Liz said...

LOVED your veil...may have been my favorite! I didnt know it was a toni federici! Mine too...best veils ever in my opninion! :)

Kayla said...

I'm letting all my followers know that I'm moving to a new blog!! Please follow me at my new home!

http://fashionmusingsofasmalltowngirl.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Katherine said...

i loved your veil! i want a big, puffy one too! and, btw...you are so beautiful!

Post a Comment