We sat in court today in a small county, where they do not split their criminal and civil docket (meaning we got to sit through both the criminal and civil hearings, and we were pretty much some of the only people in entire court house in a suit, including the other attorneys). The morning was peppered with wonderful quotations from the judge, such as these gems:
- "Practicing law ain't rocket surgery."
- "I think you are hearing hoof beats and you started looking for zebras. Well sir, they just aren't there."
- "We just don't do formalities around here."
- "Why did you even need me today? Can't you two just figure it out?"


5 comments:
I had the pleasure of attending docket call in a small county yesterday, as well. In two hours, they did an entire week's worth of hearings--civil, traffic, felony, domestic and child in need of care. Holy moses.
And WOOOWWWEEEEE. I am horrified by some of the outfits that people deem appropriate to wear to court. I would think that if I were trying to beg a judge for leniency, I would probably try to dress up a little. Torn Pokemon pajama pants, a wife beater tank with no bra, and platform flip flops?? Yikes.
Then again, the County Attorney was wearing wrangler jeans and a scrunchie...
Ah the joys of a small town court room! My husband has told many a tales of legal dealings in these small counties. Look on the bright side, at least it wasn't boring and kept you occupied!
Every now and then I'll go to a small country county, and I agree that it is always such a good show! Retired judges are the best too-- they couldn't care less what they say b/c they don't have to get elected anymore!
I am from Kentucky too and I work in real estate, namely with foreclosures. I am all to familiar with the small town charms of some courts/counties in Kentucky! Thanks for sharing those gems!
fantastic! gotta love the KY!
Post a Comment