Friday, April 9, 2010

Our Dreams are Dashed...

Today is a sad day in Kentucky. Everyone in the bluegrass state knows Darryl "The Heavy Hitter"/"Kentucky Hammer" Issacs and his super catchy "The heavy hitter's the way to go, call 255-3 oh oh oh" jingle.  For those unfamiliar with Darryl, here is three of his ads, complete with King Kong like Darryl, talking dogs, and transformers (sorry they are Louisville ads so the number is the jingle isn't the Lexington number, but same concept): 

FYI, He belonged to a country club where I lifeguarded in high school. Ready for this mental image that I saw far too often: him in swim trunks with his 6 kids running around. Be jealous--I know I am of his UK floor seats!



Well, alas kids, Darryl is not an advertising genius.  He is just one of many "heavy hitters" who purchase the same advertising scheme, logo and ads in their region. Say it ain't so. Still don't believe me? Just see the below ads:




In light of this posting on glorious lawyer's advertising, check out these other ads that we may or may not have watched all class in professional responsibility (aka, lawyer's ethics):

 

I love how this guy's website (which is bully lawyer dot com, clearly to keep in line with the ad) has the slogan: "If we don't settle your case, we'll just win it." Yeah, no biggie (or promises to clients) or anything. 



And while I'm dashing dreams (and bad ads), I'll share some other information I just found out. Winters and Yonker (and formally Rouselle) are not actually lawyers in KY, they are in FL and just have a few (recently graduated) people who sit in an office here. And 1-800-AskGary is a lawyer referral service who just refers you to Winters and Yonker locally.  

I know, I know--I'm crushing legal dreams. I just hope that one day I, too, may afford to have such wonderful advertising.

5 comments:

Tara said...

So I just found your blog yesterday and love reading your musings about Kentucky! Now the 255 3 oh oh oh song is in my head. I do feel a little uneasy now knowing that our Heavy Hitter is just one of many. That's a lie I've been hearing for 10 years now. It's just not right! :) Love your blog!

Angela said...

This cracks me up because when we were at my parents house in Ashland, Ky a few weeks ago, one of these "heavy hitter" commercials came on... with someone that WASN'T darryl isaccs and i felt totally robbed haha.. I will never look at him in his sweet court-side seats at rupp the same ever again!

Jill said...

LOL, you are so funny. I remember feeling robbed when I moved to Charleston, SC, and the same commercials for sketchy lawyers were aired there. I couldn't believe it! (Actually, I could, but ya know)
Have a good weekend :)

Danielle said...

And they're all equally as annoying! I pity you that you had to witness his short chubby body at the pool. That surely impaired you somehow.

Just found your blog. I love finding fellow KY'ians!

Stephanie @ dirtandlace.com said...

I can't believe this. Daryl Isaacs isn't the only heavy hitter? It can't be! And Winters and Yonker... I feel totally cheated.

Anyway, I found your blog somehow, and saw that you are from KY too! Nice to meet you :)

Post a Comment