So I stumbled upon this GORGEOUS kitchen remodel at Design and Dump. I adore the changes she made to the kitchen and realized how similar of a space our kitchens are (although we don't have the nice island, the layout is almost identical with the door and cabinet placement and table space with window). She and her husband did all the work for renovations themselves. Check out these pictures of her before:
and after:
Parts that I would love to incorporate into our kitchen if we decide to renovate it (which I think we should, but its just a matter of if we would get it back in a resell):
- The granite color (minotaurus) and how it complements the wall color(s)
- The ivory-ish tile blacksplash with a darker grout
- The island with the breaskfast bar (ours would have to be 4' x 3 1/2'--do you think an island that small is worth it?)
- The large message board on the wall. The kitchen is such a hub that it would be the perfect place for memos/messages, etc.
- Her large damask curtains that take up the wall. I have three windows too and was unsure how to properly dress them with curtains
- the crown moulding. Our kitchen is the only room lacking it downstairs so I think it would help the flow of the house...
- I love the black cabinets. Hubs doesn't think we should paint our wooden cabinets from a resell perspective (ours are stained cherry), but I love the sleek look of the black. But, it probably wouldn't complement or blend well with our current (ivory) appliances that came with the house (and are decent enough not to get rid of)--but that beside the point, right?
Other renovations I would LOVE to do in our kitchen (that are semi-feasible in that they don't involve ripping walls out and changing the house layout):
- remove the sofits and replace the lighting to be up-light above the cabinets.
- I also would love to put in more pull out style drawers and lazy susans in the cabinets to make items more accessible
- replace our
sanitizer only as it just bakes food on and doesn't cleandishwasher. It is the bane of my existence some days. - Run lighting to the table/bay window area and place small downlights over the table
- I would die for stainless steel applicances, but that won't happen as ours were basically new and work fine.
I shouldn't complain though about home renovations, hubby is currently cutting all new beds for flowers in the yard. Hopefully we can plan this weekend and I am thrilled to be finishing up our outdoor landscaping.
Since we are talking lusts, here are some to-die-for kitchens that I just A-D-O-R-E.
I want to do a light like this one if we do put in an island.
Which is your favorite? Do you think a kitchen remodel is worth it?










8 comments:
her remodel looks great! i love the counters and the back splash too!
if you only invested a minimal amount and didn't do a total gut job, i think you would totally get the money back in resell. you could update the hardware on the cabinets (if they need it) and you could even just spray paint the current ones with a metallic (like brushed nickel) paint. depending on the cost of an island it may not be a good investment. you might be able to find "broken" granite slabs that you can have cut. that is if you don't have a huge area to cover. the backsplash you could totally do yourself and the tiles and stuff wouldn't be expensive. you could also do the curtains yourself. just buy the material and if you don't sew (but i think you do) you could just use hem tape to hem them and then just hang them up with clips!
Oh girl, I love all of these! Katherine had some fabulous ideas! Hope your having a great day! xoxo
Also with the island, if you have the space, it would add 14 sq. ft more of counter space; so that would be a great bonus if you don't have a whole lot of counters but enough floor space to add it.
Love all of those pictures! I can't get over that remodel - never heard of that site before, will have to check it out!
That black kitchen looks awesome! SO sleek yet Pottery Barn style and I love. I totally think a kitchen remodel is worth it. Kitchens and bathrooms are huge selling points. When we bought our home, it was between this one and a home in Gleneagles that my husband loved. I could not get past the kitchen in that home--I was more willing to accept the school district than I was the awful kitchen!
LOVE all of those!!! I think the kitchen is the most important part of the home.
I was anxious to read the comments to see if people thought a kitchen remodel was worth it. I'm considering it (in the back of my mind) too but don't want to sink a bunch of money that I won't recoup. I LOVE your style though and would gladly take any of the kitchens you featured. I love natural light and I know I want that to be one of the key features in my next kitchen. Good luck and keep us posted as to what you decide.
What I would do with one of these kitchens.
Post a Comment