Sunday, April 11, 2010

Sophisticated? RRiiighhhtt...

I got a call yesterday saying that hubs and I were in this season's Sophisticated Living magazine for a charity event we attended, Grape Expectations. I don't think of my living as too sophisticated, but I'll take the compliment and run with it...



My ever-lovely team and close friends. Excuse my weird looking chest, I know now not to slouch in this dress (or let my purse hike my dress up on the side!)

For those who haven't heard of it, Grape Expectations is a competitive wine tasting event for charity. Each team of four brings 5 bottles of the same wine and donates a certain amount of money.  Four bottles are placed into silver or gold baggies (to make it blind but still separate the white and red, respectively) and then tagged with a number.  The fifth bottle is placed in the back room.  Each team goes around to different tables, tastes each wine and votes on the wine through the number system on a scorecard.  The team who brought the highest ranking red and wine wines takes home all the fifth bottles (which were over a hundred bottles this year). They also had a local caterer with heavy appetizers and plenty of water and beer.

It was a really fun event and a great concept to meet new people because you have the conversation ice breaker of which wines at which tables they recommended (or should stay away from). It was hosted by the law school, the Urban League Young Professionals, Lexington Young Professionals, Lexington Charity Club, and the Bar Association, so it was a great way to meet a diverse mix of other younger professionals. I'd recommend it for any group who wants a good way to raise money, cut down their event's alcohol cost, and still draw a crowd. I've even thought it would be a fun event for a neighborhood shindig,  larger group of friends get together,  or couple's shower--but probably with fewer bottles of wine necessary. 

And on a completely unrelated note, remember that TODAY is the LAST DAY (midnight EST) to enter to win the $25 Sephora gift-card. I created a spreadsheet and am updating it as I go. At midnight I'll select a winner through a random number generator, and double check to make sure that person has followed the give away guidelines. I'm excited to see who the lucky winner will be!

4 comments:

Tree Hugging Attorney said...

That is such a great fundraising idea! I'm in several groups on campus that are always looking for ways to raise money (other than the traditional cliche bake sale) so this is awesome.

PS: You still look cute, despite the slouching and purse snafus. :)

Elisa said...

Oh Lauren, who exciting, to be featured in a magazine. And what a great charity event, I mean who doesn't like wine right? It's also a good idea to do at home. Hmm,I may run with this idea.

Unknown said...

WOW!! That is so very cool to be featured in Sophisticated Living!! And you look fabulous, not slouchy :)

I am excited I discovered your blog today - at 11:00 pm! Just in time to enter your giveaway too :)

Jill said...

Look at you--so fancy! You're in all the cool publications :) I need to start hanging out with you...haha ;)

Post a Comment