Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Endometriosis Awareness Month



March is national Endometriosis Awareness Month. 5-10% women have endometriosis, so I think it's important to for women to discuss and be knowledgeable of this disease. Unfortunately, most women have never heard of the disease until they have fertility problems.

I honestly think that I may have a chance at being a mom one day because I was extremely proactive in finding a good doctor. I was initially diagnosed with polystic ovaries around 16. After switching doctors, I was finally diagnosed in July 2008 with stage II endometriosis. At that time I went ahead and had the endo, scar tissue, and 6 ovarian cysts removed.

I am more than happy discuss my symptoms and treatment, recommend my doctor, give any more information I have, or just generally listen with you are going through.

What is Endometriosis
The uterine lining is called the endometrium. This is the tissue thickens and then is sloughed off monthly. Endometriosis is a disease caused by this endometrium tissue growing outside of the uterus (i.e. in the ovaries, fallopian tubes, bladder, and extreme cases stomach). This tissue continues to release blood in these areas, but the blood has no outlet and just builds up in the body. To protect itself, the body can then build up scar tissue in the affected organs. 

Although the exact cause of endometriosis is unknown, it is not a STD or infectious in any way.  Endometriosis may be genetic. For example, my mother and aunt had fertility problems and my cousin recently was diagnosed with endometriosis as well.

Symptoms of Endometriosis
  • severe cramping or pelvic pain 
  • nausea, vomiting, constipation, and/or diarrhea during menstruation
  • frequent/irregular, heavy, and/or long periods, especially with blood clots
  • back pain
  • pain during sex
  • frequent ovarian cysts
  • fatigue
It is important to note some women will have all, some, or none of these symptoms. The intensity of the symptoms are also not directly related to the stage of endometriosis. Thus, someone with Stage I (most minimal) may have severe symptoms and someone with stage IV (most severe) may have no symptoms.

Effects of Endometriosis
The most common effect of endometriosis, besides the severe pain, is infertility. Roughly half of women with endometriosis have fertility problems, with roughly 30-40% being infertile.  Those who do conceive have a 50% miscarriage rate and a higher rate of ectopic pregnancies. They believe there may be a link between endometriosis and ovarian cancer.

Diagnosis and Treatment
The only way to officially diagnose endometriosis is through a surgical laparoscopy. There is no cure, but the disease can be regulated through hormone supplements, pain medication, birth control, and surgical removal.

For more information, please see the Endometriosis Research Center.




1 comment:

KC said...

Hi,
I have stage IV endometriosis and just had my first laproscopic to remove 3 cysts. I was shocked when you said you had 6 removed! How are your symptoms now? Have you had any cysts since you had your surgery. If you have a chance message me on my blog kcoryfertility.blogspot.com

Post a Comment