Tuesday, March 16, 2010

ahh CHOO!

Yesterday we went over to a family friend's (gorgeous) home and had home-smoked brisket, cole slaw, and baked beans (so I had a fafafel and baked beans). Look at my lil' Betty Crocker carrying the baked beans over.
We also watched the Hurt Locker. Talk about an intense movie. It made me appreciate our men and women who fight for this country and realize why exactly they are not always the same person when they come home.  It was a really good film, but not what I'd call the perfect vacation movie. Has anyone else seen it? What do you think?

Today has been a rather relaxing day. I had a nice glass of wine at 9 AM with my breakfast. I don't think I realized exactly what I was doing until Cam stared at me in shock--but I was just craving a good glass of wine this morning. Hey, I'm on vacation, right? We then headed down to the beach, and then this afternoon Cam's been making delicious key lime pie martinis, so I've been a spoiled girl down here. 

Cam in front of the pool area today. It is a beautiful resort--actually inside the heated pool are palm trees with fountains and the beach is right beyond the pool (if you look closely, you can see the tiki huts in the background).
Gorgeous (and huge) sandcastle inside the resort.
Last week, I decided to be part of a medical study for ragweed allergies. I received a call that my blood results came back and I officially have extremely severe allergies to Ragweed (and thus apparently I am the ideal candidate for the study). It is the other allergies that I am surprised about: I am allergic to cats, dogs, Bermuda and Johnson grasses and oak wood (not the pollen, the wood itself).

Being a huge animal lover, I was shocked at this because we own a cat and dog. I have noticed recently that if I am in smaller spaces with other people's cats my eyes water and itch, but I've never noticed anything with dogs, grass, or wood. 

But, my own animals have never set off any allergic reaction. So, I did some investigating to see why they don't bother me (despite my clear bias and preference of them). Apparently, bengal cats (the breed of our cat, Sophia) are hypoallergenic cats. Vizslas (the breed of our dog, Ritz) are apparently the original hypoallergenic dog because of their lack of an undercoat. I knew I loved them for a reason.

Is anyone else allergic to anything? Do you take allergy shots or what medicines work for you?


4 comments:

d.a.r. said...

Oh my goodness, holy yum...key lime pie martinis! I want one!

I actually have horrific allergies. I did years of allergy shots and carry an epi-pen with me in case I have a severe reaction and stop breathing. No bueno.

sara said...

I'm so jealous of your time at the beach - sounds like you are having a fabulous vacation! I didn't develop allergies till I reached college-age. I learned I was allergic to KY Bluegrass - no joke, I'm allergic to the grass that is indigenous to our state! :)

Laura said...

looks like so much fun!

Anonymous said...

I took allergy shots for about 6 or 7 years...I stopped taking them when I moved to Charleston, SC. I had to get a Kenalog (sp?) shot last fall though, when I was back living here in KY, because I couldn't breathe and was hoarse for weeks. I'm really allergic to ragweed, mold, and pollen, as well as cats.

Post a Comment